Sunday, November 13, 2011

Second observation 10/25/11





This was a marvelous day in the lab!! I was able to use the imaging equipment to photograph and video life in my microaquarium! I spent two hours in the lab, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I observed the following named species:

Rotifer sp. (fig. 15, Pennak)
Vorticella sp. (fig. 233, Patterson)
Acanthocystis sp. (fig. 411, Pennak)
Diffugia sp. (fig. 186, Patterson)
Lacrymaria sp. (fig. 138, Pennak)

There were also some small, round, unidentified organisms around the Vorticella, and a couple of nematodes. Many other unidentified species were seen as well.  There was SO much going on in my microaquarium this week, I was surprised.

References:
Pennak, Robert W. Freshwater Invertebrates of the United States. New York: Ronald, 1953. Print.
Patterson, David J. Free-living Freshwater Protozoa: a Colour Guide. New York: Wiley, 1996. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment